The Hunters Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox

Rangefinding/Crosshairs

+4
Valkarri
James_R_Rusteldt
skeeteR
tokeitup
8 posters

Go down

Rangefinding/Crosshairs Empty Rangefinding/Crosshairs

Post  tokeitup Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm

First off id just like to compliment you on your great server Skeeter, my friends and I are thoroughly enjoying it. So id like to point out some features that I haven't been enjoying so much.

Inbuilt rangefinding/tags/crosshairs make the game a little too easy in my opinion. I think firing a sniper should be a challenge.. after all it can 1hit you from 1000m away if the sniper is good, but with inbuilt rangefinding the sniper doesnt have to be good.. any guy can pick one up and use the rangefinding to perfectly zero his/her weapon and go to town.. approaching on a sniper is difficult enough as is. (this really rustles my jimmies)

As for crosshairs, using snipers at close range should be a challenge also, or hip firing in any case really. (Crosshairs really dont make a huge difference and I wouldn't care if this was changed or not)

Tags seem to work strangely every time i play, but overall make it very easy to find hidden vehicles/ghillie suits/camo etc. Also knowing exactly who you're fighting kinda ruins it for me.. the mystery would be nice, you dont know how good the person is. ( Tags are really gay. )

Thanks for reading my rant.

tokeitup

Back to top Go down

Rangefinding/Crosshairs Empty Re: Rangefinding/Crosshairs

Post  skeeteR Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks for posting, I need everyone to come here and let me know whats on there mind.

Otherwise I wouldn't know what going on ingame.

The nameplates were removed a week or so ago, Im talking about the plates the give you the actual players name. But I did not know you could still see other plates regarding other players. So sometimes it will say "sniper"? If they have a guillie?

If so I will remove this asap. I will come ingame tonight and try to figure out what is showing up and what isnt.

I do know the range finding thing is VERY inaccurate. So inaccurate it is useless to pay attention to the distance it gives you. So I would say if its so useless......then it should be removed.

The only reason I didnt get that done yet is only becasue real life has been busy.

But I'm making a to do list right now, some of this stuff will be handled as soon as possible. Going to try to get it done tonight, but if not deff. this weekend. I have alot of misc. things I want to get done this weekend.

Thanks again for posting this toke. Added this stuff to my work list.

I'll try to see whats up with player type tags......I stopped working on that becasue I thought I fixed it. So thats my bad. I dont want anytime of tags giving ppls postion away.

skeeteR
skeeteR
Owner
Owner

http://huntersden.comyr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  James_R_Rusteldt Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:45 pm

I completely agree with pretty much everything here.

I didn't even know about the easy range finder until last night and was lining up my shots and prepping them, but now I just scroll wheel and have my range instantly. I'll be the first to admit it's completely overpowered. At least make it a challenge and disable this.

The cross hairs are pretty easy mode too. Last night I was sniping at our roadblock, and a player named Abraham sneaks right up on me and has the drop on me. As he switches weapons to shoot me, I just pivot and hip fire with my 50 cal and guess who wins? Something I probably wouldn't have been able to do with cross hairs

Haven't had a lot of experience using tags, but if it allow people to find people hiding in ghillie suits then that is pretty gay and should go.

Edit: In my experience the range finder is super accurate. Just need to make sure you're looking at the right thing and that something else isn't clipping your line of sight.

James_R_Rusteldt
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post  skeeteR Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:08 pm

yea, gonna get all these things changed tonight sometime. it will require an unscheduled restart.....but i will give plenty of warnings before.

thanks for bringing this up guys. good points. i personally would not of noticed as quickly, because i don't spend alot of time ingame, and when ingame......i make sure no players are near me.

i'll get to work on this in the next couple minutes
skeeteR
skeeteR
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Valkarri Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:14 pm

tokeitup is off his rocker.

I don't care about getting rid of nameplates but i like the hip firing.

range finding is nice to learn how to snipe with which i still am learning.

Valkarri
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post  skeeteR Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 pm

so many variables in this game, i want everyone to have what they want. its hard to figure it out sometimes.

thanks for speaking up valk
same goes for everyone else reading this, tell me your thoughts please

I will try find a "middle of the road" solution. wont go too far either way.

let me see what i can come up with.
if its a disaster, we will keep tweaking until it works

Smile

skeeteR
skeeteR
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  skeeteR Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 pm

i was going for a quick/easy fix on this. Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral

but the quick and easy way will only work if i'm willing to take ALOT of stuff out, including but not limited to "map waypoints". i will never take out map waypoints.

I did too some testing with the players name appearing when you scrolled mouse, this isnt as bad as the original "nameplates" that I already removed. those nameplates would appear on there own, you didnt need to scroll mouse to see them.

it will be tricky to only remove that part of the HUD you get when scrolling mouse. but lemme play around with it. i agree 100 percent anything that gives away a players position has gotta go. I honestly never noticed this until now. (its kind of hard to use it, you need really good aim. player needs to be still)

I'd like to hear some more players opinions on the crosshairs before removing that. (this is actually quick/easy/painless for me to change. But I know we have such a wide variety of play styles, it can be difficult to accommodate them all. I'm going over all this, trying to meet in the middle.

hang in there with the current settings......but just for the moment. i'm working on a solution.
skeeteR
skeeteR
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  skeeteR Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:23 pm

may have got it figured out

edit- yea i did, just dont wanna restart yet......everyone seems pretty involved. ppl flying, pvp'n, stalking, looting.

i dont wanna fk tht up with a annoying restart tongue
skeeteR
skeeteR
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  skeeteR Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 pm

how'd i do everyone?

lemme know what everyone thinks about the new settings.

i like it, finally rid of ALL nameplates (thought i did this a week ago), I decided not to remove crosshairs.

everyone has opinions/preferences, post them here re: removing nameplates/rangefinder when you scroll mouse

*trying to type while eating is hard
skeeteR
skeeteR
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Milans Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 pm

I wish when u hover over you can see hero/bandit/survivor
Milans
Milans
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Rangefinding/Crosshairs Empty Close range nameplates

Post  Noreasontoworry Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 pm

I think nameplates should show up within a certain range like 30 meters or something. You should be able to tell who someone is from that close even if you have crap eye site. Sucks getting split up during an ambush and killing a friend or not shooting an enemy and them killing you
Noreasontoworry
Noreasontoworry
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gonzo Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Probably a dead issue, but not being able to see nameplates At All makes it tough on people who dont just go around shootnig anything that moves.

I don't know enough about the modding capabilities/options to have an answer.. But not knowing who people are does make it tough to be a nice guy.

-G

Gonzo
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Rouki87 Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Gonzo wrote:Probably a dead issue, but not being able to see nameplates At All makes it tough on people who dont just go around shootnig anything that moves.

I don't know enough about the modding capabilities/options to have an answer.. But not knowing who people are does make it tough to be a nice guy.

-G

Just means you have to have more interaction with other players you come across, dont approach them directly and ask them not to face you, if they turn to face you, blast them.
Rouki87
Rouki87
BANNED
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum